To My Birthday Boy

An Ollie Tale

Where to begin? Ah, yes.  Concerning Ollie...

Ollie's are happy, jolly and love to eat.  You prefer to be held, comfortable and cozy, rather than run off and have adventures.

Thus making you a hobbit of sorts...


How in the world are you SIX. I just can't. You are growing as fast as your hair, which, by the way, has never been longer.

This world right now. The pandemic. The protests. The uncertainty. It's all so much. And you, my sweet little love, are handling it all so much better than many adults I know. You know enough of what's happening and you have hope. Hope and certainty that everything is going to be ok. You know that is not the case for everyone. You understand so much at such a young age. Things grown ups don't even understand.

You. Can. Read. I am just so proud. And would like to tell the world that the desire to play Pokemon video games is greatly responsible for your motivation. Well done, baby!

You still give zero fucks, man.  You tell it how it is. Honest and funny and true and in that tiny adorable voice that gets SO serious if we're talking about Minecraft, Animal Crossing or Diablo.

You are so in love with anything soft. One of your birthday requests this year was that everyone has to wear soft things all day long. Such a tactile baby. You love to fiddle with things, rip things into pieces, destroy things. You need a fidgit cube.

You were a cat in another life. Anytime there’s a small space you’re in it. Boxes. Under tables, in tents. There’s Ollie.

Your sense of humor and comedic timing makes me laugh out loud daily. From the original “wakka-wakka” to your puns to your looks, you are the funniest kid I know.

I love your love of all things decadent. When asked what you wanted for your birthday you basically said “soft things, luxurious bedding and all my favorite foods, plus candy, and I get to do whatever I want.” If we let you, it would be a five day event. And goddess knows you’re going lord your power over everyone all day like a queen.

Your maturity and sense of the world doesn’t come without a serious side. You often stare off at bedtime only to follow it up with “what happens when we die?” or “what would happen if you stomped on a skull?” You have such wonder and concern about things you don’t know. You’re curious and thoughtful. Maybe a little morbid. And that’s all ok.

In case you thought you had grown out of it, you have not. You are still “The Darkness”. From loving villains to thinking people are assholes for parking terribly, to ripping paper into little bits and leaving them on the floor because it’s fun to destroy, you march to a dark drummer. You feel things so very deeply and I hope that is always the case.

I can't wait to see what adventures we all get into in the years to come. Complete with second breakfast, elevensies and the other four meals when we can get them.

It's been an incredible year, one of the best of my life.  I'd do it all over in a heartbeat, there and back again, for sure.  Thanks for choosing me to be your mom.

All my love,
Your mama

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday sweet little (big) boy !
    Everything's gonna be alright for sure with little (big) people like you ❤
    Frenchy

    ReplyDelete