To My Birthday Boy

To my birthday boy,

Oh sweet boy. What a wonderful, hilarious, joyful, exceedingly blissful year it’s been. What do you think of your life so far? It’s hard to believe that, eight years ago today, I was just going in for one of your last checkups only to find out that you’d be joining us in the world a few short whirlwind hours later. 

It happens every year. IT HAPPENS EVERY YEAR. I just typed "eight" and thought, "No, that's wrong. He can't be 8." But, just like every year, it's true. You are this many years old. How did that happen? You feel so old and yet so tiny all at once.

It's such a strange time to be alive right now. If you're reading this years from now, to bring you up to speed, we're a few months into a pandemic. It has been scary, weird, anxiety producing, and tiring. But there have been good things too. We are spending every day together. We are all more together than we have been previously. And, though it can be difficult sometimes, it's honestly one of the most fun times I've known. I get to see you learn and grow with your brother while your dad teaches you. I get to see you help and try new things.

You have grown up so. very. much. this year. Things that would have sent you into a fit of rage or anxiety are now just looked at and shrugged at. You just move on. You're always learning how to slow down. How to use your words. How to manage your emotions. Sometimes they win and over take you. But more and more I see you experience, acknowledge and process them. This weird time, honey, you're handling it better than so many other fully grown humans I see, yours truly included.

This year we went to Seabrook a couple of times. I am loving traveling with you. We went to Seabrook and had Christmas with Banana and Farmer. One of the best vacations I can remember. You started to enjoy and not fear the ocean more. 

We did many hikes and walks this year. You guys are getting really good at trucking around and along. Enjoying trees and plants and animals and water. I hope we do a lot of this during the summer.

Your first live musical was The Little Mermaid at Village Theatre in Issaquah. Boy did we dress UP and have a fancy dinner after. You boys have gotten to do some crazy fancy eating this year. John Howie Steak and Salish Lodge to name a few.

Our August trip before school was San Francisco - which you call Fran Sancisco (and if anyone ever tries to correct you I'll bite them). We did it all and you LOVED it.

Second grade started off with a great teacher and a super happy to be back at school Felix. I'm glad you had most of the school year in the classroom. I'm glad you weren't a 6th grader with camp cancelled or a senior who didn't get to walk at graduation. Those I know in those grades have been dealt a sad, hard hand. But I do feel heartbroken you didn't get to finish your 2nd grade year full out. 

You made cupcakes all by yourself for Uncle Evan. You are so inquisitive and love baking shows. I adore our time each night when we watch Great British Baking Show. You know so MUCH about it and I am learning to let you try more things like help with a lattice crust for pie or beat an egg. 

We have finished TWO Harry Potter books and movies! Girl. You are killing it with these books. You listen (mostly) and remember what's happening. You have favorite characters and ones you hate. It makes me SO happy to hear you gasp when you hear Hagrid's voice when I read.

You have finished all the Star Wars movies. All 9. PHEW. 

I wrote the next bit last year and it's still so very true. You love unicorns. And dragons. And dinosaurs. And comics and Star Wars. And non-fiction. You want to work in a pet store when you grow up. You also really, really, really like to be right. Like a lot. A really lot.

You are loved. You are safe. You are amazing. I am so proud of the human you are and the one you're growing into. You care deeply about people. You want the world to be a fair place. You said you wouldn't have your shirt off in public because women can't and that's bullshit. You are going to change the world just by being you.

I cannot wait to see what this next year brings.

I think you’re a great, cool kid and the best son a mom could ask for. Stay kind, stay curious, stay little, innocent and blind to the worse things in the world forever. Tuck on in next to me and let’s read. You're my most favorite Felix in the whole world. I know I say it each year, but seriously, best year of my life.  

All my love, 
Your mama

No comments:

Post a Comment