To My Birthday Boy

An Ollie Tale

Where to begin? Ah, yes.  Concerning Ollie...

Ollie's are happy, jolly and love to eat.  You've never worn shoes, you prefer to be held, comfortable and cozy, rather than run off and have adventures.

Thus making you a hobbit of sorts...

You are, by far, the funniest kid I know.  I can't count the number of times this year when your dad and I have to turn around, get out of the car, run away for fear of laughing at something you do that is freaking hilarious but we're supposed to be stern and reprimanding.  You throwing crumbs at Felix after we tell you not to.  You dancing to time out because you think it's so funny.  God, you are such a funny boy.  And you so know it.

You still like to eat.  Your palate has expanded.  You put things together I'd never think - grapes and macaroni, chocolate and ketchup - you seem to think it's great flavors.  Over and over you put food together that is odd but delicious.  Or sometimes you spit it out, "I no like this." And you love to be a chef like your dad.  Constantly making us food, warning us that it's hot, making second helpings.

One of my favorite things about you this last year is your love of your baby doll, Baby Noses.  From the moment you brought him/her home from Dezi's, he/she has been by your side.  I love that he/she changes genders almost daily.  I love you for taking care of her, for feeding and giving her love.  "Where my Baby Noses?" is uttered many times a day.

You think time out is hilarious.  Sure, mom, put me in a chair, I'l sing to myself until I get down.  I'll put myself there!  Until time out became 5 second nose to the wall time out, then it was serious business.  It's amazing how quickly you turned that corner of "oh, maybe I should listen."

You are kind and caring.  When mommy cries, you put your chubby little hand on my knee and pat it.  When Felix cries you hug him.  You are wary around strangers. You LOVE babies.  It is so darling how much you love babies, you're so gentle and careful with them.

I think you'll be our singer, our reader, our engineer, our baseball player.  You have such excellent pitch and your little shoulder bounce dance is perfect.  You are constantly bringing us books, "Read.  Read it again.  Again!"  You sit and figure how things work, you always want to see inside things.  You love the Take Me Out to the Ballgame song at bedtime.  I do too but I'll admit I miss our Tale as Old as Time and Oklahoma songs sometimes.

Thank you for choosing us as your family and me as your mom.  I am so honored to be your mama, to get to watch you grow up, figure things out, learn how to be independent.  "No, I do it."

It's been an incredible year, one of the best of my life.  I'd do it all over in a heartbeat, there and back again, for sure.

All my love,
Your mama

No comments:

Post a Comment